Friday, November 16, 2012

Butternut Squash and Apple Ravioli

My produce items: Butternut Squash, Fuji Apples, Sage

1/2 cooked butternut squash
1 fuji apple
1/2 cup of mascarpone
4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Penzey's Pumpkin Pie Spice (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, cloves)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
wonton wrappers (hidden in the produce department of the supermarket)
1/2 cup half and half
3 tablespoons of butter
chopped sage leaves

First cut butternut squash in half and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 60 to 75 minutes.

Peel and dice apples.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Cook in a covered pot to soften.

Spoon out 1/2 of the butternut squash and combine with baked apple, mascarpone, 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, Pumpkin Pie Spice and egg yolk.  I don't own a food processor but it would have come in handy for this.  Instead I used a blender and then electric mixer.  It took a little more work but got the job done.  I had my tasty ravioli filling.

Put one spoonful of ravioli filling on a wonton wrapper.  Wet the edges by either using a brush or dipping your finger in some water and running it along the edges.  Cover with the second wonton wrapper and press the edges closed all around with a fork.


Boil water and add the salt.  Boil a few raviolis (6-7) at a time for 2-5 minutes a piece.

For the sauce, melt butter with chopped sage in a pan.  Add in half and half and 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese.  Stir and cook until sauce thickens (about 5-7 minutes).

Serve raviolis hot topped with sauce.  Add additional parmesan cheese on top if desired.

Serves 4-6

Final Verdict: Excellent

I love butternut squash ravioli and always wanted to try making it.  I'm not big on making dough so I wanted to find a premade pasta and the wonton wrappers are as good as it's going to get.  While they did work, the consistency was a little gummy as wontons tend to be if they're boiled.  Still, the butternut squash ravioli was excellent.  The apples were a nice touch too.  I didn't get an exact recipe per say, just researched a bunch of different ways to make it and put my own interpretations to the test.  I think it turned out really well.  I do think the parmesan topping was a nice touch because it adds some saltiness to the sweetness of the dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment