Friday, March 16, 2012

Kale, Arugula & Quinoa Salad


I finally did something other than a soup.
Red kale and arugula!
Revised from: Warm Quinoa salad with Kale and Arugula

1 bunch of red kale (doesn't have to be red)
1 bunch of arugula
1 lemon (zest and juice)
1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes sliced thinly
3 cloves of garlic minced
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp minced onion
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
Lawry's Seasoned salt
Pepper

Combine broth and quinoa, bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes. In another pan, add about 2tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, garlic and onion flakes. Sautee for about 10 minutes. Add kale - wilt/cook another 10, add arugula until wilted. Combine quinoa and and greens. Serve warm.
The Results: Flavorful!
This is definitely a recipe I'll have to tweak. It was very flavorful, and I found that after I cooked it, it was still fairly bitter (from the greens), but the next day after a reheat, I found the flavors (the lemon juice cutting the overall bitterness) had become well acquainted with each other. I think some sort of salty cheese would have produced a better dynamic than the lemon juice. I decided to do this recipe spur of the moment in the middle of the night, and I think despite the haste and lack of ingredients it came out pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment