Monday, May 7, 2012

Kiwi Lemon Curd Tarts

My produce Items: Kiwi, Lemon, Grapefruit


5 kiwis
1 lemon
1 grapefruit
1 cup of sugar
1 stick of butter
6 egg yolks
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
sprinkle of all spice
6 keebler mini graham cracker pie crusts

To create the curd stir together egg yolks and sugar in a saucepan on medium heat.  Add lemon and grapefruit juice, lemon zest and sprinkle of all spice (I used Penzey's Pumpkin Pie Spice).  Stir constantly until curd thickens.  Add butter and stir until it melts.  Pour into container and refrigerate for 30-40 minutes.

Spoon curd into pie crusts.  Top with cut up kiwi.

Serves 6 (plus a huge bowl of leftover curd)



Final Verdict: I didn't like it

It honestly looks way cuter than it tastes.  I got this recipe off of Sugar Crafters but the recipe calls for juice from 3 lemons.  I only had 1 lemon so I decided to use the grapefruit I had leftover from the previous produce box to make up for the lack of lemons.  The juice equaled out to about the same (should have been around 1/2 a cup).  Perhaps that was the downfall of this attempt.  I have always hated lemon flavored desserts so I got a second opinion and the consensus is that the flavor is off.  Also, the curd isn't thick enough at all.  It's very runny and liquidy.  More like a sauce than a curd.  I guess I was also already biased because I was turned off by the ingredients.  6 egg yolks, a stick of butter and a cup of sugar.  That just sounds gross.  The sprinkle of all spice was a personal touch but it didn't really do anything for the dish.  I honestly made these because the picture looked both yummy and cute.  And they do look cute, they just don't taste all that yummy.  The recipe also calls for creating your own pie crust which I don't really know how to do.  Never attempted to make pie crust from scratch.  The graham cracker pie crusts were good though.  Also, this recipe makes way too much curd.  I have an entire bowl of it left after I made these 3 tarts.  I think this recipe can definitely be halved.  I'm sure if someone else attempted this it would have turned out good, it just didn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment