Saturday, October 27, 2012

Persimmon Pudding Squares

My produce items: Persimmons, Delicata Squash

1 delicata squash
1/4 cup of maple syrup
2 persimmons
1 cup of milk
4 tablespoons of butter
1 egg
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of Penzey's Pumpkin Pie Spice (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, cloves)
1 tablespoon sugar
whipped cream for topping

Cut off tops and peel persimmons.  Chop into pieces.  Blend together persimmons, milk and melted butter.  Remove from blender and place in a mixing bowl.  Beat in egg, flour, baking soda, salt, allspice and sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

Cut delicata squash in half and seed.  Chop into 1/2 inch moon shaped pieces.  Spread out on a baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Turn pieces over and bake another 15 minutes.  Remove from baking sheet and place in a mixing bowl. Coat with maple syrup (sprinkle allspice if desired.

Cut out a square of the persimmons pudding.  Top with delicata squash pieces.  Top with whipped cream if desired.  Can be served hot or cold.

Serves 6

Final Verdict: Yummy.

The pudding recipe is a variation I got off of cooks.com.  The pudding isn't really a pudding.  It's more like a pumpkin pie but the flavoring is a little different.  I can definitely see persimmons being a pie filling.  It was a yummy dessert.  I wasn't sure if it really needed the delicata squash topping but I was told that the squash gave the dish a nice balance so it wasn't too sweet.  Persimmons are pretty sweet on their own so I thought they'd be good for a dessert.  I had read that delicata squash is a very sweet squash that turns custardy when baked.  I'm not really sure that I agree with that, but it was sweet enough to use for the dessert.  I was originally going to put the squash in the pudding mix but I'm glad I didn't.  Both flavors are pretty different from each other.  The way to eat it is to have some pudding and then a bite of squash eating them together but keeping the flavors separate.


No comments:

Post a Comment