Sunday, October 21, 2012

Vegan Cupcakes

My produce items: Lemon, Avocado

3 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup of avocado (1 medium avocado well mashed)
2 cups water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 can of frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda.  Mix together avocado, vegetable oil, water, lemon juice, vanilla extract.  Combine wet ingredients to dry mixture and mix well.  I used an electric mixer.  Pour batter into cupcake holders.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Let cool for 15 minutes before applying frosting.

Makes 24 cupcakes.


Final Verdict: Delicious

I was skeptical at first but after trying vegan cupcakes I absolutely loved them and wanted to try my hand at making them. They taste exactly like regular cupcakes except way more moist.  They're super moist chocolate cupcakes.  I actually got the recipe from jbahr who sent it to me.  This recipe is a slight variation from joythebaker.com.  I didn't have any white vinegar so I substituted lemon juice.  Because of the substitution I also added an additional teaspoon of vanilla extract.  I think it turned out well.



1 comment:

  1. Also wanted to note that obviously I used canned frosting so it isn't 100% vegan. However, the recipe included instructions on how to make the frosting vegan as well. I've included it below.

    2 small to medium ripe avocados well mashed
    2 teaspoons of lemon juice
    1 pound powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

    Whisk in a mixer the avocados and lemon juice. Slowly add in powdered sugar and vanilla extract as it's mixing. Mix for 2-3 minutes.

    ReplyDelete