Thursday, February 9, 2012

Beef Stew

So many veggies.
Green chard, carrots and fingerling potatoes.
So many ingredients.

1lb stew beef
1/2 lb fingerling potatoes
3-4 carrots (chopped)
1 bunch of green chard
4 cups beef stock
1 onion (chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup of alcohol (preferably red wine, all I had alcohol wise in my apt was patron - so I used 1 shot to substitute)
1/2 tbsp ketchup
1/2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tbsp of A1
veggie oil
flour

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Dredge beef cubes in flour mixture. In a medium hot pan, drizzle veggie oil, add in beef cubes, and cook til done. Remove beef cubes, add in alcohol, deglaze pan, add liquid to crockpot. Add in beef stock, onion, garlic, thyme, oregano and basil to crockpot. Cook for 2 hours on low. Then add potatoes, carrots, cooked beef, and cook another 3 hours. Add chard, A1, ketchup and worcestershire sauce at the end, cook another half an hour to wilt.

So many dishes.
(I don't have pictures, though I wish I took some.)

The results? Eh.
 
The broth was flavorful and full-bodied, the beef melted in your mouth, the veggies delicious. But the chard. Oh, the chard. It barely added to the flavor of the broth. It was basically just... there. There, in all its bitter glory. I don't think I'll be making this recipe again (So. Many. Dishes.), but if I did, no chard.

No comments:

Post a Comment