Sunday, February 5, 2012

Turnip Cauliflower Potato Mash

My Produce Items: Fingerling Potatoes, Purple Turnip Top
1 lb fingerling potatoes
1 turnip
1 head cauliflower
2 teaspoons butter
1 clove of minced garlic
1/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup of shredded cheese blend
3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Boil water and place potatoes in whole to soften. Boil for about 10-15 minutes (I didn't actually time this, so just feel it out. The potatoes will take longer to soften than the cauliflower and turnip).

Chop up cauliflower and turnip and add to boiling water. Boil for another 10-15 minutes or until all ingredients are soft.

Drain water and mash all ingredients together.

Add butter, garlic, milk, cheese and salt and pepper and continue to mash until cheese and butter are melted and evenly dispersed. Add desired amounts of salt and pepper.

Serves 5-6

Final Verdict: Fail

I got the original recipe from Penzeys Spices Magazine but added the turnip to it. The mash was way too watery. Maybe everything needed to set for a few minutes before serving or maybe I boiled everything too long. I never made mashed cauliflower before so I don't know how watery it gets. The fingerling potatoes were not a good choice. You need yellow potatoes for this recipe so I thought they'd do, but they took forever to soften, seemingly longer than other potatoes would. I left the skin on but I definitely should have peeled them. Fingerling potato skins are pretty tough and I noticed the consistency in the mash right away. The turnip softened very quickly, much quicker than the potatoes and cauliflower so I had to remove them from the boil and throw them back in once everything else was soft. I didn't taste the turnip at all. The flavor was not prominent and it was completely hidden. Maybe more turnips next time would help. The flavor was okay, it didn't taste bad, but the texture isn't desirable. So it is edible, just not completely enjoyable. Plus the end result didn't look very appetizing. It certainly didn't match what the magazine looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment