Friday, February 17, 2012

Tuscan Bean Soup!

I think it's an understatement to say I've been on a soup kick lately.

They're just so good. And so easily, for the most part (stupid beef stew).

For our latest produce box I received kale and broccoli (pictured below), oranges and a stick of rosemary.
Kale and broccoli are the ingredients for this dish.

I ended up grabbing some lemons from my supa'market and made me some orangade juice. 8 oranges, 3 lemons, a cup of sugar and then water to the top of my pitcher. Lots of squeezing. But! Very refreshing, love the stuff.

For my biweekly recipe I decided to give this a try:

Tuscan Bean Soup - From the Pioneer Woman

5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 med onion, chopped
3 cans of great norther beans (drained and rinsed)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp oregano
1/4 cup of tomato paste
3/4 cup white wine
1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes
6 cups chicken broth
1 bunch of kale (chopped)
2 heads of broccoli (trimmed, chopped)
1 hand full of torn basil
4 tbsp butter
1 1/2 lb shrimpies
1/4 cup parsley
Fresh parm

Combine garlic, onion and olive oil in a large pot, cook about 4-5 minutes. Add tomato paste, continue to cook another 2 mins. Add oregano and pepper flakes, cook another 30 secs. Pour in wine, and scrape bottom of the pot for all the tasty crusties at the bottom. Reduce wine concoction to about half. Add in broth, canned tomatoes, broccoli and beans, simmer for half an hour; add salt and pepper to taste.

Smells. So. Good.
In another pan, add butter and shrimpies. Cook until no longer opaque; 3-4 mins on medium heat. Salt and pepper to taste.

SHRIMPIES!
Add torn basil and kale to soup, let cook another 5-10 minutes. Garnish w/parsley & parm. Top with shrimpies.


The results:
Yum! Simple ingredients. Low dish count. Easy prep. Super flavorful. What more could a girl ask for? Now, please excuse me while I jump on the kale bandwagon.



No comments:

Post a Comment