Saturday, June 30, 2012

Kale and Beet Quiche

The pawns:
Beets, beet greens & kale.
I adapted my recipe from this recipe.

2 medium sized beets with greens separated and chopped (get rid of those stems)
1 bunch of kale, deveined and chopped
1/2 of a sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves-o-garlic minced
4 eggs
3/4 cup of half-n-half
1//2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup goat cheese
1 deep dish pie crust (in retrospect, I would make my own pie crust next time)
Olive oil
Alcohol (deglazin')
Salt & Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and get scrubbing on those beets. Once clean, massage some EVOO on those puppies and get them in the oven for about 40 minutes or so - until fork tender. Set them aside to cool - you'll eventually dice 'em  up when they are aren't flaming hot.

Pop in the premade pie crust for about 8 minutes into the oven.

In a skillet over medium heat, splash in some EVOO and get the garlic and onions to caramelize. After about 12 minutes or so, add in the kale and cook that down another 10-15 minutes. Deglaze that skillet with a few tablespoons of alcohol - wine preferred, I used a chardonnay I had on hand. Combine with diced beets and set aside for a moment.

In a separate bowl, combine eggs and half & half - whisk, whisk, whisk.

Now for the layering. Procure your pie crust and add in a layer of the kale/beet cooked goodness. Top off that first layer with some walnut/goat cheesyness & then drown the whole lot in the cream egg mixture. And then repeat once more. Be careful on the whole drowning bit - I ended up with an egg spill on my counter because I got a bit happy with my pouring.

Then into the oven still at 350 for about 45 minutes or so. Make sure the center isn't squishy. Toothpick that quiche to make sure she's done.

The results:
Not too shabby. It was different. But then suddenly addictive. I ate a small slice and was like "Yes. Yes, this agrees with me." Then I had another huge piece and swooned. I haven't had many-a-quiche in my life, and this recipe was a first for me, but I'm definitely interested in experimenting and formulating a good formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment