Saturday, June 30, 2012

Veggie Stir Fry

The cast:

Green beans, garlic & collards.

The veggies:
1/2 lb green beans
1 bunch collard greens
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 red onion chopped
1 pkg of white mushrooms
1 can bean sprouts

Das Sauce:
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
6 tbsp water

In a large skillet, fill with enough water to just cover the bottom and get the green beans and collards in to cook for about 5 minutes (over med-high heat) - until beans are vivid green and collards wilted. Remove and set aside. Add ingredients for sauce, plus garlic and onions, cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add in collards, beans, mushrooms and bean sprouts, saute another 5-10 minutes.

The results:
Delightfully yummy. This was the first time I ever attempted stir fry and I was pleasantly pleased with the results. I doubled up the sauce recipe, which worked fine, but for my tastes, it ended up being a bit too salty, so I think the next time around, I'll add in a few more tbsps of water to dilute it. This is going to sound terribly cheesy, but I'm developing mad respect for collards. They're so versatile and hardy. I see my relationship with collards lasting for a very long time.

Also - I need a wok. My favored skillet is a champ, but a wok would have been nicer for this project.


No comments:

Post a Comment