Monday, April 30, 2012

Cinnamon Apple Beets

My produce items: Chioggia Beets, Pink Lady Apples


2 pink lady apples
2 chioggia beets
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar

Dice up the apples and beets into cubes.  Place in a sauce pan and add the cinnamon sugar.  Cover and let cook 10-15 minutes stirring frequently to coat everything in the sugar and prevent burning.


Final Verdict: Fail

I promised myself I would attempt all new recipes on this blog.  Everything I've made so far, I've never made or attempted before.  Unless I list where I got the recipe, it's something I just threw together and made up on the fly.  I've been mostly successful so far, but not this time.  I also promised that I would post every recipe that I make with produce items from the boxes, even if they don't turn out and this one definitely didn't turn out.  This was actually a dish I had made at the beginning of the month that I wasn't going to post, but again I have to post every experiment.  On the plus side, the apples were delicious.  The beets however were kind of yucky.  They threw the whole flavor of the apples way off.  I had heard that chioggia beets were sweeter than regular beets and maybe the fact that they look like a candy cane got me thinking it would be good to attempt a dessert with it and although beets are pretty versatile, they are not THAT versatile.  It just didn't work.  I ended up eating all the apples out of it and throwing the rest away.  On the plus side I usually hate baked apples but the apple side of this dish turned out really good.  Note to self: pink lady cinnamon sugar apples simmered in a covered saucepan are the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment