Monday, April 2, 2012

Slow Cooked Collards and Beef Short Ribs

My Produce Items: Collards, Scallions
1 bunch of collards
3 scallions
1 lb of beef short ribs (about 8-10 pieces)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon of seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon of thyme
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
ginger

Place short ribs in the slow cooker. Season with seasoning salt (I use Penzey's 4S special seasoning salt), thyme and oregano. Mince garlic and add. Grate ginger on top (ginger should be equal to garlic). Dice scallions and chop up collards, removing the stems. Toss everything in the slow cooker.

Cook on high for 2.5-3 hours stirring every 45 minutes to an hour. You need to keep stirring or it may burn on the edges/sides.

Serve with broth glazed over top.

Serves: 4-5
Final Verdict: Needs Improvement

I used beef short ribs for this recipe and the slow cooker really dried them out. I didn't have any wine to use as a tenderizer so it probably would have helped if I had that. Once again, the collards have a strong overpowering flavor. However, the broth leftover in the slow cooker was absolutely delicious. I probably should have made a soup out of it. The collards drenched in the broth actually tasted pretty good. I also tried drenching the dried meat in the broth, and even though it didn't really absorb any, together the flavors were very good. So altogether I feel like the flavors are there, but the consistency is just off. It's definitely a recipe worth trying to perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment