Monday, April 30, 2012

Survivor food & Chocolate covered strawberries

 The contenders this week:
Kale, lettuce, lemon, green garlic and strawberries!
Survivor Food (aka basic, no frills food)

3 cups of cooked rice
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 green garlic, finely chopped
Sun dried tomates, sliced thinly
Extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch of kale
1 bunch of lettuce (optional)
1 lemon
Lawry's seasoned salt
Pepper
Basil
Balsamic vinegar
Patron (or whatever alcohol you have on hand that feels fitting)
Chicken breast fillets (I had 6 on hand)

In a large pan on medium heat, add in evoo, shallots, salt, pepper, basil, green garlic and sun dried tomatoes, and let them saute for about ten minutes. Add in kale, lettuce and bit more evoo and cook the greens down, about another 10-20.

Combine greens with rice & juice of lemon. Set aside. Add in more evoo to the pan, toss in chicken, season as you like, cook til done.

After the chicken was cooked I noticed that there were tasty burned bits stuck to the pan. I love white rice, but it can get boring. So I decided to deglaze the pan with 1 shot of water, 1 shot of patron and 1 shot of balsamic because it looked at me the wrong way when I went through my cabinet. I deglazed and cooked it down by half and added it to the rice.



The results: Tasty and filling.

I was a big fan of the green garlic. Subtle sweet earthiness; I was pleasantly pleased. It also mingled well the the shallots. The balsamic concoction added the favor that was missing from the rice, though I would probably try to add a bit more in the future. Definitely will have to remember this recipe for the future.

And then I did this:
I will never buy grocery store strawberries again. ...Unless they're 2 for 3 at Ralph's. But I'll try REALLY hard to buy from a farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment