Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Baked Ravioli

Produce: Zucchini, Bell Pepper, Garlic, Thyme (and tomatoes from mom)

  • 2 tbl Olive Oil
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 1 zucchini chopped
  • 1 bell pepper chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tomatoes chopped
  • 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tbl fresh thyme
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 lbs ravioli (I used ricotta spinach)
  • 1 ball of mozzerella cubed
  • 1/2 cup parmezan cheese
Method: In a pan heat olive oil on medium. Add onion, zucchini and bell pepper. Cook until soft. Add garlic and thyme and cook for another minute. Add tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste. Let this sauce simmer on low for up to one hour.
Cook ravioli as instructed on the package. Drain and add to sauce. Turn off heat, and mix. Pour into a baking pan. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.


Result: absolutely delicious!
My challenge here was to make an Italian dish without the use of basil or oregano. As an herb snob, I refuse to use either unless they are fresh, and so this challenge was about using the fresh herbs I had on hand. This was a success. I didn't miss the taste of basil or oregano in this classic dish. The thyme made it a bit earthier, which is why I went with the spinach filled ravioli. I'd like to add this to my recipe list whenever I have extra thyme on my hands!


No comments:

Post a Comment