Monday, July 2, 2012

White and Purple Bell Pepper Pizza

My produce items: White Bell Peppers, Purple Bell Peppers, Tomatoes

1 medium white bell pepper
2 small purple bell peppers
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tomatoes
1 can of organic diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of basil
1/2 teaspoon of parsley
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of flour
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
12 pepperonis
1 Pillsbury pizza crust

Dice white bell pepper, purple bell peppers, red onion and mince garlic.  Mix well in a bowl.  Add olive oil and mix well to evenly distribute the olive oil.

Dice tomatoes.  In a saucepan on low heat place tomatoes and drained can of organic diced tomatoes.  Add salt, basil, parsley and paprika and stir well.  Add in flour to thicken.  Stir until ingredients are evenly distributed and sauce has thickened.

Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.  Spread out pizza crust.  Cover with layer of tomato sauce.  Add layers of cheese.  Top evenly with pepperonis and bell pepper mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes.

Serves 6-8

Final Verdict: Really good but can be perfected.

The pizza was good but I should have used less peppers.  This ended up being a bell pepper lover's pizza.  I think one small white and one small purple pepper would have sufficed.  Also, it was a little heavy on the garlic side, so I could have gotten away with only one clove.  The pizza crust cooks a little faster than the peppers so if you want well done peppers that are softer they need to be cooked a little first.  Overall they cooked the same amount as they would if you had ordered them in a pizzeria so they were still a little firm.  For the record, the purple peppers taste just like green peppers but a little less sweet and they are also green on the inside.  The sauce was good.  I only had two tomatoes on hand so I used a can of organic diced tomatoes to make up the difference.  Next time I'll try using 4-5 fresh tomatoes but the sauce was not bad at all.  It was actually really good.  I also liked the pepperoni and think it could have used more.  Next time I'll make a pepperoni bell pepper lover's pizza.  These were all my favorite pizza toppings by the way.  The crust was only so so.  It wasn't a thin crust, but I'm a deep dish pizza lover and it was nowhere near deep dish.  Just regular I guess.  I wasn't crazy about the crust because aside from the thickness (it didn't rise that much while baking) it didn't really taste all that great.  Not bad but nothing special and not really anywhere near a real pizzeria flavor.  Next time I should try going all out and making my own pizza dough.  Then it could be perfect.  This was my first attempt at homemade pizza so there's definitely room for perfection.


No comments:

Post a Comment