Sunday, July 1, 2012

Vegetable Casserole

My produce items: Squash, Zucchini, Green Onions, Red Onion, Green Bell Pepper, Red Bell Pepper

1 squash
1 zucchini
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
2 green onions
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 clove of garlic
4 slices of buttered wheat bread
1 and 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon of pepper
3 tablespoons of flour

Chop squash, zucchini, red and green bell peppers into desirable pieces. I cut cubes of the squash and zucchini and smaller squares of the peppers. Dice red and green onions. Mince garlic. Combine all in a glass casserole baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese evenly on top.


In a mixing bowl melt butter, add milk, salt, pepper and flour. Mix well. Pour evenly throughout baking dish. Cut buttered wheat bread slices into squares and spread out evenly as the top layer of baking dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Serves 6-8


Final Verdict: Super Yummy and Super Healthy

This was literally a farm fresh vegetable mix casserole. It ended up being made of all the farm veggies I happened to have on hand and completely vegetarian because I just didn't have any chicken to add to it. If I did I would have, but I'm glad I didn't. All the flavors were perfect as is. The bread toasts perfectly in the oven and adds delicious texture to the casserole. All the flavors go together perfectly. It honestly didn't need anything else. This recipe was a slight variation of one I found on yummly.com.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds dope. Gonna have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete