Monday, July 30, 2012

Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers

My produce items: Green Bell Peppers, Yellow Squash, Eggplant

3 large green bell peppers
2 yellow squash
1 eggplant
1 block of swiss cheese
1/4 block of cheddar cheese
1 cup of white wine
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of flour

First create cheese sauce.  I used a cheese fondue recipe I found online.  Shred swiss and cheddar cheese.  Simmer in a pot on the stove.  Add the white wine and stir until cheese is evenly melted.  Add salt and flour.  Continue to stir until smooth.  Sauce will be a little thick (not runny) but not too thick.

Hollow out bell peppers removing stems and seeds.  Dice up eggplant and squash.  Stuff bell peppers with eggplant and squash pieces loosely.  Pour cheese sauce into bell pepper to fill in all the gaps and spaces not occupied by squash and eggplant.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Serves: 3

Final Verdict: Needs a lot of improvement!

The bell pepper was really good, but the squash and eggplant were not cooked at all.  I really should have roasted them a bit first before putting them inside the bell pepper and baking them.  The fondue cheese sauce was very unfortunate.  There was way too much wine in it.  The sauce just tasted like straight up wine.  I tried to thin it out but it ended up making things worse.  Next time I'm going to half all the measurements and put only 1/4 a cup of white wine if that.  I think all the flavors were there and it could have turned out really good if I had the right sauce and got the vegetables cooked evenly.  Perhaps eggplant isn't the best choice and next time I should just put the squash and toasted pieces of french bread inside the peppers.  If I had gotten the sauce correct it would have at least been edible.  But it wasn't.  I just threw out the contents and ate the green bell pepper part only.  Still, I do think I'm on to something here and it's a recipe worth perfecting.


No comments:

Post a Comment